A diamond laser inscription by the World Gemological Institute (WGI) refers to a microscopic marking or engraving made on the girdle of a diamond using a laser. This inscription serves as a unique identifier or personalization feature for the diamond and provides additional information for identification and authentication purposes. Here are some key aspects of a diamond laser inscription:
- Purpose: The primary purpose of a diamond laser inscription is to provide a permanent and discreet way to link a specific diamond with its corresponding grading report or certificate. It helps to establish a clear connection between the diamond and its documented characteristics, ensuring accuracy and integrity in the identification process.
- Location: The laser inscription is typically placed on the girdle of the diamond, which is the narrow rim or edge that separates the crown (top) and pavilion (bottom) of the diamond. The laser inscription is usually placed in a manner that does not impact the overall appearance or structural integrity of the diamond.
- Content: The diamond laser inscription may include various types of information, such as:
- Report Number: The unique identification number of the diamond grading report or certificate issued by WGI.
- Logo or Brand: The logo or brand name of the jeweler or diamond manufacturer may be inscribed for branding purposes.
- Personalized Message: In some cases, a personalized message, such as a name, date, or symbol, may be inscribed upon request.
- Laser Technology: The inscription is made using a high-precision laser system capable of creating microscopic and precise markings on the diamond. The laser beam focuses intense heat on the diamond’s surface, evaporating a tiny amount of material to form the desired inscription.
- Readability: The laser inscription is typically visible under magnification or with the aid of specialized equipment, such as a jeweler’s loupe or microscope. The characters or symbols inscribed are often very small and may require appropriate lighting and magnification to be clearly read.
The specific details and content of a diamond laser inscription provided by WGI may vary depending on their policies and the specific requests made by the client. It is important to consult with WGI or refer to their documentation for accurate and up-to-date information on diamond laser inscriptions.